03 January 2014

Hong Kong 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Welcome to 2014! 2013 has been a roller coaster ride for me. I hope this year will be a better year for me in terms of having more time to shoot film, which is something that I really enjoy. I will probably put up a post soon on why I love film, inspired by what Ray Toei has been putting up on his Facebook. 

I was in Hong Kong in December 2013 to attend my uncle's wedding. Had the chance to shoot this vibrant city on film and also went to a famed film store in Tsim Sha Tsui to stock up on film. There is this tiny store called Dot-Well Photo Workshop that has some interesting films as well as 2nd hand cameras. Bought some Cinestill films that are receiving very good reviews, as well as some rolled Ektarchrome slides, Maco Eagle 400 Surveillance films, Adox Color Implosion 100 films and Fujifilm Natura 1600 films. The highlight of the trip, I scored myself a Leica M6 TTL Black Paint ICS, 0.85x body! Thanks to Gilbert from Fotopia Gallery & Camera Equipment

Film stash from Dot-well

Leica M6 TTL Black Paint ICS, 0.85x

Limited edition of 200 only!


Love the metal film advance lever and black frame dial!
Shot a roll of Cinestill film on my M6 and a Leica Summitar 50/2 lens. I love the colors of the film. It gives just that tinge of retro, old feel, but not too overly strong. Grain is very smooth (from what I can see). Here are 2 shots from the roll that I shot. Most of it were of my uncle's wedding, so will not be posting them.

Cinestill 800


Most of the other film shots were shot with my trusty Ricoh GR1s. I was selling it, but have received low offers which I cannot justify the sale. Hence, I have been shooting more with it and I am growing to love this camera. Hence, I am withdrawing sale and keeping this little gem. Popped a few rolls into the camera and off I go shooting, point and shoot style!

Kodak Gold 400 film 

Fujifilm Pro 400H
Macau, St Paul's Cathedral Ruins

At Tai'O, an island 1 hour away from Hong Kong


An old, expired 200 film at Tai'O

I love Hong Kong for its very contrasting experience. On Hong Kong island, you have a busy, vibrant and bustling city. Off shore, you have islands like Tai'O that retains its heritage as a fishing village which is quiet, tranquil and slow paced. Moreover, the film photography scene there is so vibrant! Everywhere you go, you will bound to see some old film/camera stores. What I really love about such stores is that they can develop your films in about an hour! Talk about instant photography! I am definitely going to try their development when I am there next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment